The Health Benefits of Eating Honey
Honey is a popular natural sweetener known for its numerous health benefits. In order to produce honey, bees collect flower nectar, break it down, and deposit the nectar into their honeycombs. The bees then use their wings to fan the nectar, causing its water content to evaporate and resulting in the gooey texture of traditional honey. Once honey reaches this stage, it can be extracted from the honeycomb and used as a sweetener. Here are some of the benefits of consuming this natural nectar:
- Alleviate allergies – Since honey contains small amounts of pollen from the area it was produced, consuming local honey may help people develop more antibodies to pollen, potentially reducing allergy symptoms.
- Reduce throat irritation and coughing – Eating a tablespoon of honey can be as effective as a cough suppressant, while drinking warm tea or water with honey may also soothe a sore throat.
- Possibly lower cholesterol – Studies have suggested that honey may help lower cholesterol levels.
- Reduce dandruff – Honey is said to eliminate dandruff due to its pH balancing and antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Help with sleeplessness – Honey is said to help promote a restful night’s sleep. Some people mix a teaspoon of honey into a cup of tea or milk to help avoid sleeplessness.
Anyone interested in learning more about honey or testing out its reported health benefits might want to visit Indian Summer Honey Farm, which is located about a half-hour drive from our apartments by The Villages, FL. To learn more about PepperTree Apartment Homes, contact our leasing office today and consider taking a tour of our community.