Popular Festive Drinks from Around the World
Many countries have beverages that are associated with certain holidays or specific times of the year. In the United States, for instance, eggnog – a thick drink consisting of milk, cream, sugar, and eggs – is often sold in stores during wintertime. Here are other festive drinks from around the world:
- Glühwein – Enjoyed in Germany and Austria, this drink typically includes cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and bitter orange. Its spicy taste is meant to help warm people during the cold winter.
- Glögg – Popular in Scandinavia, glögg consists of blackcurrant or grape juice that is spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and orange. It’s usually served hot, and raisins and almonds can be added to it for extra flavor.
- Ponche Navideño – The equivalent of a warm tropical fruit punch, this traditional Mexican drink is made by simmering fruits like apples, oranges, guavas, and tejocotes (a type of citrus fruit that’s native to Mexico) in sugar cane water with cinnamon. It can also contain prunes, tamarind, raisins, and walnuts.
- Chicha Morada – This purplish-black Peruvian drink is made from boiled purple corn and contains pineapple, cinnamon, and cloves. Some choose to add beets, strawberries, and lime. It is typically served chilled.
- Cola de Mono – Originally from Chile, cola de mono (which translates to “monkey’s tail”) consists of evaporated milk, water, sugar, cloves, and cinnamon that are brought to a gentle boil. Coffee, vanilla extract, and nutmeg are then added, and the drink is served chilled.
These flavorful drinks can be easily made in the kitchens of our apartments by The Villages, FL. Contact PepperTree Apartment Homes today for information on the benefits of making our community your home.